Starting things right: Fostering successful lactation practices for at-risk women and infants
(Succesvolle lactatiepraktijken voor vrouwen en baby's met verhoogd risico)
Thursday, 21 April 2022
Initiating and building milk production is a profound process in which secretory activation plays an important role. We provide insight into what this is, what risk factors can affect successful milk production during this critical period, and how to ensure effective milk production and breastfeeding.
- Understanding secretory activation (lactogenesis II)
- Awareness of what delayed onset of lactation (DOL) is and its potential effects on lactation
- Identification of women at increased risk for early breastfeeding problems
- Overview of the hormonal, physiological and emotional differences between labour and birth outcomes
- Comprehending how different types of birth can affect lactation in the first few days
- Recognising how certain risk factors impact the type of labour, birth and first breastfeeding experience a woman has
- Understanding how certain labour and birth outcomes negatively impact breastfeeding
- Have knowledge of evidenced-based best practices to ensure effective milk supply and breastfeeding
Date 21 April 2022
Duration 1 hour
Time 16:00 – 17:00 (CEST)
Click here to register for the webinar.
This webinar is free of charge.
Nienke van den Ende, Lactation Consultant, Medela
Nienke van den Ende has been a certified lactation consultant IBCLC since 2012. In addition to her training as an obstetrics nurse, she further specialized as a lactation expert. For many years she worked with passion in the OVLG-West Hospital in Amsterdam. She also works as an independent lactation consultant where she guides young families at home. Since 2018 she has been working at Medela, where she is involved in the translation of scientific research for the Dutch and Belgian market, training and education of birth care professionals on lactation protocols and quality improvement processes. Nienke is a member of the NVL and the VSBB.
Ferial Bekker, Education Manager, Medela
Ferial Bekker is Education Manager and has been working at Medela since 2005. She completed the Lactation Specialist training at the Katholieke Hogeschool Limburg in Hasselt. She obtained her certificate in 2011. Since she has no medical background she is not officially certified as IBCLC. In daily practice, she uses her knowledge and extensive experience in the development of training and education for employees and professionals, based on the scientific research facilitated by Medela. Furthermore, she is involved in the development and implementation of various educational and quality programs at Medela.