How to use your Supplemental Nursing System (SNS)
In this quick and step-by-step video, you'll learn how to use Medela's Supplemental Nursing System (SNS).
Supplemental Nursing System (SNS)
The Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) is a nursing device specifically designed to help mothers and parents to breastfeed / chestfeed by supplying milk to the baby whilst they are being fed at the breast / chest.
Helping you achieve your breastfeeding / chestfeeding goals
By increasing the opportunity to feed at the breast / chest, the Supplemental Nursing System (SNS)
- facilitates bonding and skin-to-skin contact promotes milk supply by stimulating the breast through sustained sucking
- supports non-lactating, adoptive, surrogate, same sex, transgender and non-binary parents to create a breastfeeding / chestfeeding experience
- supports the baby’s oral development of sucking skills to create vacuum
- provides milk supplementation without the use of bottles and teats
At a glance: Medela’s new at-chest / at breast supplementer
• Anti-leak TwistLok Lid prevents leakage and milk loss
• Advanced venting system ensures consistent milk flow and comfortable feeding
• Silicone tubing with soft, rounded edges - gentle on baby's mouth
Easy to use
• Versatile container and lid, ideal for milk preparation, storage, transport and feeding
• Clip securely fastens device to nursing bra, shirt or pillow
• Simple 'on / off' flow control
Easy to clean
• Specialty cleaning aid to help effectively clean the tube over repeated daily use
The Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) is a lactation aid that consists of a container filled with supplementary milk that is clipped securely to a bra strap, shirt or pillow. Whilst the baby is latched at the breast / chest, a thin, flexible tube is placed alongside the nipple into the baby's mouth and a controlled and consistent flow of milk is released as they feed.
1x TwistLok Lid
1x 150ml Container & Lid
1x TwistLok Tube
1x Cleaning Aid
1x Instructions for use
1. Who is the Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) for?
Medela’s Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) can be used by mothers and parents who wish to supplement milk at the breast / chest, and support non-lactating mothers and parents including adoptive, surrogate, same sex, transgender and non-binary parents to create a breastfeeding / chestfeeding experience. It can also be used for infants who cannot maintain vacuum long enough.
2. How do I clean the Supplemental Nursing System (SNS), especially the tube?
The Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) can be easily cleaned at home. Before first use and after each use, clean all the components in plenty of warm soapy water, then rinse with clean water and dry with a clean cloth or leave to dry on a clean cloth. Use the specialty Cleaning Aid to effectively and easily clean the tube by flushing it with warm, soapy water (3 times), then clean water (3 times), and finally with air until its visibly dry. Then, further clean the Container, TwistLok Lid, Valve and Lid components before first use and once daily in boiling water for 5 minutes, in a dishwasher or in the microwave using Medela's Quick Clean bags. For a full set of detailed cleaning instructions please read our Instructions for Use, as well as the SNS How To Video and SNS QuickCard.
3. How do I use the Supplemental Nur sing System (SNS)?
The Medela Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) is specifically designed to be easy to use. After the SNS is cleaned, assembled (with the flow stop engaged) and filled with the required amount of milk, clip the device securely to a bra strap, top or pillow. Position the baby at the breast / chest. Once a good latch is established, gently insert the thin, flexible tube 1.5 -2cm into the top corner of the baby's mouth alongside the nipple. Open the flow clamp to the let the milk flow. With the help of gravity and the advanced venting system, a controlled and consistent flow of milk is released to the baby as they feed. For further information on how to use the SNS, please read our Instructions for Use, as well as the SNS How To Video and SNS Quick Card.
4. How long can I use the Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) for?
Medela’s Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) is a single user, reusable device, suitable for repeated daily use. The device is safe to use until it shows first signs of damage or weakness. A Healthcare Professional should be consulted with on how long to supplement for and when to transition or wean off using the SNS.
5. How do I attach the white clip to the see-through ring?
Slightly open the clip at the top. Slide the little hanger of the ring through. Then close the clip again, making sure to switch the pincers of the clip holder into a crossed over position with the little “teeth” pointing inwards. This is important so the clip can then hold on tightly to the fabric you attach it to and hold the container securely in place.
6. How can I make sure I don´t lose any milk while feeding with this system?
The whole system is designed to safeguard your precious drops of milk. Always follow the assembly and cleaning instructions closely and you will be good to go. Should you have the feeling you are losing some drops nonetheless, please always check the following:
* Is the device correctly assembled with no part missing?
* Is the lid screwed on tightly?
* Is the TwistLok connection firmly closed?
* Did you strictly follow the cleaning protocol?
The tube in particular may only be cleaned with the included cleaning device.